Thursday, October 27, 2011

Writing

Kylie has been writing like crazy! We are so proud of her and yet it has created lots of tense moments around the house.

Take this little bit of writing for example.
102511_Kylie_map.jpg
While I was folding some laundry, Kylie was in another room writing this. She finds me and asks me to read it. I'm sounding it out the best I can and at first glance I guess "drum?" for the top word. "No!" Kylie yells. (Kylie is normally not a person who yells but she's been pretty dang uptight about my ability to read her writing.)
"Darling, you read it to me," I reply.
"I can't read. YOU can read. Read it to me." Kylie says.
Finally I cipher that she has made a map. Her map reads toyroom, dining room, kitchen, hallway, Kylie's room (that last bit got cut off). But the five or more minutes that it takes the two of us to work this out are some intense minutes.

She wants soooo much for me to read it. I want so much for her to explain it so that I can oohh and ahhh appropriately. For the past week, when she brings me something to read, I feel like I'm on some crazed gameshow where I'm tip-toeing through a minefield trying to read Latin.

Yesterday, she decided to walk around our neighborhood writing down the words she saw on our neighbors' flags, signs and numbers by the road. We started with the Happy Halloween flag in our yard.
102611_002.jpg

And she just kept going and going! Up and down our neighborhood...
102611_003.jpg

until she had an entire page.
102611_kylie_writing.jpg
Happy Halloween
Hokies (as in Virginia Tech Hokies)
Watson (and several backwards phone numbers for the realty company)
Speed Limit 20
Toter ® (I love that she included the Registered symbol)
Florida
1172
Michigan
ADT
Caution Ghost Xing
1155
Give it Back (written backwards)
Stop
1905
No Dumping
Beck
7714
AEO
Suncast
Telephone
Sienna LE
Toyota

102711_Kylie_nut.jpg
I'm happy to say that today's writing was easy. I figured it out immediately, "I found a nut!", which made the kiddo very happy.

2 comments:

Kerry Lynn said...

Again wow! writing out what she's thinking in her head?? that is seriously advanced!

Stacey said...

That's pretty awesome though. I know what you mean about the minefield but looking at now, after knowing what she was writing, she did a great job. Smart kid.