Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Adventure Begins


Hi! Wendy here. Karen & I created this blog to share our adventures in the wonderful world of conception and (hopefully!!) pregnancy and birth.

I admit that I'm approaching this blog with both excitement & trepidation. Part of me wants to be completely open and write all about this process. Another part of me wants to hold back and asks questions like:
Are you going to write about each insemination attempt?
What if it takes 3 tries, 6 tries or 12 tries before I conceive?
Do friends and family really want to know about the process or would they rather be kept in the dark until we can announce we're pregnant?
Will I blog the moment a pregnancy test comes back positive? What if there is a miscarriage? And so on and so on.

I decided to go ahead and write the blog because, for me, blogging is great therapy. I love capturing what I'm thinking and doing on any given day. It instills me with a sense of gratitude for all of the moments that make up my life. It's more fun that writing in a journal (love the blog pictures!) And, of course, people's comments are great to read. It feels to good to know that someone out there sees me, "hears me", and takes the time to say, "Hey- you're cool!"

Some time ago, Karen & I began to entertain the notion of becoming parents. We asked ourselves and each other thousands of questions about becoming mothers.
Would we make good parents?
Can we make such a huge and life-changing commitment and responsibility?
Are we too old (I'm 35 and Karen's 41) and set in our ways?
What about the social stigma a child might face having two mothers?
Can we afford a child?
What about the legalities around 2nd parent adoption?
All good questions but we about made each other crazy analyzing all the answers.

For me, the shift from maybe to yes happened when our good friends and neighbors, Jeff & Heather, gave birth to their son Ethan. In the final days before he was born, Karen found me crying in our bed. "What's wrong honey?" she asked. I answered, "No matter how close we are to Jeff & Heather...No matter how involved we are in Ethan's life... He will always be THEIR son, not mine."

And I realized how much I would regret it, for the rest of my life, if I didn't have a child. The scales tipped.

So we started reading and researching and did more reading and researching. Karen contacted an attorney and learned all about the legal process. We looked at our finances and budget. I contacted physicians.

We said "YES" and jumped in with both feet. We got moving and moving fast! So here it goes, our adventure begins!

4 comments:

Ethan Barry's Momma said...

We are so excited for you as you embark on this wondrous journey. You two will be such amazing parents. We also can't wait for Ethan to have his best friend right next door...just as we do. :)

Love,
Jeff, Heather and Ethan

Caroline said...

Just came across your blog. Can't wait to read all about your adventures.

wenders said...

I am so excited for you both - glad to have found your 'new' blog. :)

NeeNee said...

Been reading your blog for at least an hour now and plan to read much, much more. But just wanted to say....
"You're cool!" ;)
Hugs!