Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Quilt

My Nanny J was a quilter. Last week, I brought home two more of her quilts. One of them, I packed away with some others I have of her for safekeeping.

But I wanted to have one of them out. Even though there is a part of me that wants to keep it safe from harm, the greater part of me wants to see one of her quilts all the time. I want Kylie to sit on it and wrap up in it.

This is the quilt I chose to keep out. This picture doesn't do it justice. It has lots of pink triangles with these other fantastic color combinations and these bold blue stripes.

Kylie calls it her hopscotch quilt. She likes to jump in the squares.
030910_quilt1.jpg
It's been a delightful comfort seeing this quilt all day and watching Kylie with it.

Kylie and I aren't the only ones who love it.
030910_quilt2.jpg

6 comments:

Laurie said...

I feel the same way about things from my grandmother. I want to hide them away, but at the same time I want to see and touch them every day. It is very sweet how Kylie enjoys the quilt!

Missi said...

Just beautiful!!! I love quilts!! This little girl blog caught since 2 months and I can´t wait for new post.

regards from Spain

Tammom said...

Wendy: I am a quilter and quilt designer, and thought you'd like to know that the block in your quilt is known as a Double Pinwheel block and also an Old Windmill block (two different names for the same design). The blue between the blocks is known as sashing. My favorite saying is "When You Sleep Under a Quilt, you Sleep Under a Blanket of Love." I am in the group of quilters who believe that every quilt we make should be loved and used - because it was so lovingly made by a quilted heart. You have a treasure there - both in Kylie and your Nanny's quilts!

Beth said...

Wonderful pics... and such a gorgeous quilt!

My grandmother crocheted (sp?). She made my brother a fantastic quilt with about a gazillion colors. I wanted one, too... when I was a little girl... of course, it is now one of my most treasured items.

We miss you all... hope to see you soon???

Teaberry said...

Beautiful! I have always wanted to make a quilt... That one seems to be really well made!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. My Grandma made me a blanket when I was born and I still find it comforting when I am cold/sad/sick/missing her, etc. It is the best medicine.