Thursday, December 28, 2006

Name Change

I officially changed my last name today. I now have Karen's last name. (I really want to type it here but I guess it's more prudent not to). We are now the M***** girls!

I decided to do this because I knew, from the moment I was pregnant, that I wanted to give baby Kylie Karen's last name. And I thought it might make things easier for all of us to have the same last name when we meet with doctor's, teachers, etc.

The process started on 12/8. I had to go to the courthouse, sign an affidavit, pay my $105 fee, and post my notice on a public bulletin board. I then had to wait 20 days to see if there were any objections. Today, I went to the courthouse, stood in front of the judge while she signed my documents, shuffle even more papers and then the deed was done.

I had a big, goofy grin on my face the whole time. I"m so happy to have done this. I wanted to have my picture taken with my cheesy grin and my certified name-change document, but I won't receive my documentation for five more days.

Then I get to start changing my social security card, driver's license, passport, banking and insurance documents and so forth and so on.

But Hurray! I get to start the new year as a "new person". How cool is that?!

-Wendy
[22w, 3d]
[26 Babies R Us visits]

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you changed your last name! I totally agree that it's much easier with everyone having the same last name. We keep thinking about changing my last name as well. My only concern is changing it at work after having worked there for 10 years.

Ethan Barry's Momma said...

We are out here floating in the Pacific on the Paradise Cruise ship. We want to wish all three of you a huge congrats on your new M***** girls status. We are so happy for you.

Love,
The Eberlin's

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so cool! I can't wait to see the big cheesy grin pic!

*G* said...

Congrats! Jen and I will be doing the same thing soon! Since I'm carrying, we'll be using Jen's last name for all of us, and my last name as everyone's middle name. Glad things went well!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

We changed our names just before our wedding 3 years ago but stupidly made them hyphenated. We have looong last names so this is awkward. We hope to change our names again and make Angele's maiden name a middle name and go by my last name. Angele had decided to use my last name since I was half adopted and so my name is very special to me. (My step father adopted me)

It is much easier to have the same last names and will probably work out best when dealing with Kylie. :) Congratulations once again!!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! And how nice to get some good news after the scary week that you've had (I'm just now catching up on my reading). All the best to both of you!

Kathryn said...

Congratulations Wendy! I'm very happy for you. I hope HG and I decide on a name sometime and actually do it. That will fun.

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I never realized it was so easy.

Caroline said...

How exciting. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to have the same last name. I want to take Laura's last name at some point. I didn't realize it was that easy.