Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Magazines

Magazines are my new favorite thing to entertain Kylie. After Kylie's meals, it has been difficult to clean up because she wants me to sit and play with her. She gets frustrated that I'm trying to clean up our mess and no amount of kitchen toys or songs will soothe her.

But recently, she crawled over and pulled a magazine off the couch. She seemed very pleased with herself. I was doing the Mom thing where you are watching without seeming to be watching your kid. She thumbed through the pages and then she ripped one. She looked up at me and I gave her a quick nod to let her know it was okay.

She laughed with delight and started turning more pages--going back and forth easily through the magazine. At this stage, she's not too interested in tearing out every page or eating them all-- just turning the pages. She thinks it is cool to pull the magazine off the couch (it doesn't work as well if the magazine is already on the floor). And this activity gives me the five minutes I need to clean the kitchen.

So hurray for magazines!


I have my sippy cup of juice and my magazine. What more could a girl want?


Oh yeah! A kiss from Momma Karen!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

The smile in that last picture is absolutely precious!! Hooray for finding a way to get that cleaning done! :)

f said...

SO damn cute. I used to LOVE ripping stuff out of magazines. And I'd love to lay on the floor right now with magazines and a drink - maybe some wine instead of a sippy cup though? Oh, that sounds lovely.

How CUTE that she looked up to get approval for ripping pages out? SCORE! Mama's awesome! And Mommy K swooping in for the kiss at the end just seals the deal.

f said...

PS: it's even more funny because it's a parenting magazine. Kylie has you all figured out :-)

Anonymous said...

I was interested to read your blog. As a parent you may be interested in being part of a university study I'm involved with. It’s about how infants and children develop. It wouldn’t take much of your time, and it’s a great way to contribute to knowledge by reporting on your own experiences. For more details go to the following address after copying it into your browser window, www.babysleepstudy.org Best wishes, Rebecca

Stacey said...

Riley loves ripping paper of any kind and magazines are equally fun.

Love that last picture!

They are the age where songs don't make them stop whining. They are just too busy to stay still!

Anonymous said...

I think it was a genius idea. ha ha ha. Anyways, I can't help but admire your baby.. she's really a cutie =)