Monday, June 13, 2011

Sick day, paper chain and books

Over the weekend, we asked Kylie to sign her name on her Father's Day card to Grandpa. She struggled with the K and the Y (she has the L,I,E down). She was doing better at writing her name while at school which just shows me how quickly these skills can get rusty. In order to keep Kylie's writing skills fresh, Karen came up with this great idea to create a chain of 30 links. Each day, Kylie traces her name twice and writes it once on some handwriting paper we have here at the house. Kylie then gets to take down a link. When all the links are gone, she gets a prize (probably a Rapunzel doll she's been looking at lately or a horse stick pony or maybe a DVD).

Kylie thought this was an excellent idea. We quickly cut up some paper. Kylie decorated each strip with a sticker. And I stapled the links together. Kylie wanted to count the links each time we added one. She can count to 30 pretty well. She sometimes messes up the 13, 14, 15 (skipping one) but otherwise she counts great. And we did her name-writing exercise for the day.

Here is a picture of Kylie with her finished chain. She's in her nightgown because she's home sick today with a cold.
061311-name-chain

I'm not at all surprised Kylie got sick as she started a new preschool last week with new kids and new germs. Perhaps I knew a sick day was coming when I stopped at the library last Friday and picked up 20 library books for the kiddo. We had them all read before noon. Here are some of the favorites of the bunch.

My Hippie Grandmother. I laughed when I saw this one and immediately thought of my cool, hippy parents. I know I enjoyed this one more than Kylie but I just loved it.
My Hippie Grandmother
My Hippie Grandmother

Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers

Chief Rhino to the Rescue. We've read this one twice today. The fire is actually birthday candles on a cake for 100 year old Great Granny Wrinkle. I think Kylie likes my "old lady" voice.
Chief Rhino to the Rescue! (Whoops-a-Daisy World)
Chief Rhino to the Rescue! (Whoops-a-Daisy World)

From the library we got these three books by Jonathan London
What Do You Love?,
Froggy Eats Out. We've also read this one twice today. Kylie laughs at the "hamburgers and fries" line, the fact the little frog changes to "nice" clothes, even his underwear, to get ready to go the the restaurant and the fact that the frog eats spaghetti with giant slurps. This books got lots of giggles today.
Froggy Eats Out
Froggy Eats Out

Giving Thanks
This book is about a father and son taking a walk in the woods together. The father thanks all the creatures around them. I pretty much love any book that includes Mother Earth, Father Sky, Grandfather Sun and Grandmother Moon. Kylie enjoyed seeing the animals and examining the brush strokes in the illustrations.
Giving Thanks
Giving Thanks

So consider picking these up at your local library. Please send Kylie your well wishes. I'm sure she'll be feeling better soon.

No comments: