Saturday, June 04, 2011

Traveling with Kylie

052811_001.jpg
For our trip to Tennessee, we had a 2 1/2 hour drive to Orlando and then a 1 1/2 hour flight. I thought you might be interested in some of the things I got to occupy the kiddo. In this picture, Kylie is working on her Holes coloring book with her pencil box in her lap. I picked up the sliding pencil box at Michael's craft store for $1 along with a brand-new set of crayons and colored pencils. The slider box was much easier to handle than the original crayon boxes or a plastic bag.

Coloring books
Holes!: A Coloring Book (King of Play)
Holes!: A Coloring Book (King of Play)
I don't remember which "Mom Blog" I saw this coloring book reviewed but I remember that I put it on my Amazon wish list right away. I'm so glad I got it for this trip because this coloring book is awesome. There are holes in each page that Kylie would fill in. For example, she would color some holes in a girl's sweater yet when she turned the page, she was also coloring apples in an apple tree. Polka-dot holes became spots on a snake or raindrops on a whale. I encouraged Kylie to not peek at the next page until her coloring was complete. She did so and was tickled with each page that she turned. The only downside was that she flew threw the coloring book on our flight out to TN. She was determined to finish it before we landed. But she was completely absorbed in the book so I was able to really relax and enjoy my own book.

The Dora coloring book was one we got for Christmas and hadn't used yet. I kept this coloring book along with her crayon/pencil box in a backpack for wherever we went during our trip. Kylie appreciated having lots of crayons and coloring pages to choose from while we sat in restaurants or sat around visiting with our family.
Dora's Super Silly Coloring Book
Dora's Super Silly Coloring Book

Dot to Dot Books
I bought two of these but really I only needed one. Kylie did about 5 pages flying out and the same flying back.
Dot-to-Dot Count to 20
Dot-to-Dot Count to 20
Dot to Dot Count to 25
Dot to Dot Count to 25


Sticker books
It's been a while since Kylie played with one of the reusable sticker books I made for her a while ago. But I saw these in the book store and thought they would be good for the trip. My mom must have been thinking the same thing because she got Kylie the fairy sticker book. Kylie played with the Noah's Ark one while playing at her Nana's house and the other two on our drive home. It's still easier for her if I rip out stickers from the center of the book and place them in between the pages.
Storytime Stickers: Magic Fairy Forest
Storytime Stickers: Magic Fairy Forest

Noah's Ark (Sticker Stories)
Noah's Ark (Sticker Stories)
Berry Patch Tea Party: Sticker Stories (Strawberry Shortcake)
Berry Patch Tea Party: Sticker Stories (Strawberry Shortcake)

Magic pen books
These are normally around $11 but I saw these two on sale for half that at our local bookstore. She colored in half of each of these before she tired of them.
Giddy-up Dora Color Blast Activity Book
Giddy-up Dora Color Blast Activity Book

Giddy-up My Little Pony Color Blast Activity Book - 9401763
Giddy-up My Little Pony Color Blast Activity Book - 9401763

Movies
I picked up two Strawberry Shortcake movies from Target that were on sale for $5. And I ordered from Amazon the Olivia Christmas DVD and two Max & Ruby DVD's. Kylie loves Max & Ruby these days. I also got a few new episodes of Blue's Clue's, SuperWhy and Little Einsteins for my iPhone.

All this may seem excessive to you but my little one loves to be stimulated, especially when she's confined in a car or plane. And it all worked beautifully. Kylie was tickled and happy (even when tired) on our trip. And having her be whine-free was invaluable to her moms! Stay tuned for a few trip photos!

1 comment:

Kira said...

(Sigh) Can you please be my moms too?