Saturday, October 10, 2009

What Kylie is reading- Week of Oct 5




Shy Little Bunny by Nick Ellsworth
This was the most popular book this week. It was given to us by my mom. It's about a bunny who helps his family build a burrow and then helps some new friends build a burrow. There are 4-5 sentences per page. The best part was that our version of the book has embossment on every page. So Kylie gets to feel the bunnies and flowers as I read her the story.


Curious George at the Aquarium by Magret & H.A. Rey's
Karen and Kylie read this one together several times. There are around 6 sentences per page which is just right for Kylie. As I watch them read it together, Kylie keeps her eyes glued to the pages. As an added bonus, we have a little Curious George doll that she likes to play with once she finishes the story.


Where's the Poop? by Julie Markes
This has around 3 lift-the-flaps per page. The story has all sorts of different animals in it. Each animal parent will ask their child if they need to poop. The baby animal will respond that it has already pooped and your kiddo gets to lift the flap and find it. This has been a favorite book in our house for a while. We read it several times this week.


Oh No, Gotta Go #2 by Susan Middleton Elya
The fun thing about this one is that there are several Spanish words per page. Kylie thinks it's funny when I say hija. Yeesh--two bathroom books for Kylie's favorites this week. Oh Joy. Oh Bliss.


Do You Have a Hat? by Eileen Spinelli
I think I liked this more than Kylie. Yet she let me read it to her three times this past week. The book has two pages that ask the reader about what hats they wear and then it shifts to the majority of the story which is about famous people's hats. It has an AABB rhyme scheme (similar to Dr. Seuss) which makes it easy to read aloud. The illustrations are incredible. Kylie particularly liked that there were animals on every page and that the animals were also wearing hats. This will be a fun one to get again.


There are cats in this book by Viviane Schwarz
Cats! Yarn! Blankets! Some of MY favorite things. Again, I think I liked this one more than Kylie (since I'm a cat and yarn lover) but she enjoyed it too. There are cut-outs on each page that Kylie could turn which made the book more interactive. She liked the end of the story where the cats get wet. The cats ask you to blow on them to dry them off. Kylie blew on the pages and then laughed each time when she turned the page and saw that the cats were now all fluffy. I give this one two thumbs up.


Bless Me by Grace Maccarone
Kylie almost knows this book by heart. It's the one we often turn to read before her afternoon nap. "Bless the moon, bless the sky..." so simple and so sweet.

There were some books that we got from the library that Kylie wasn't interested in such as:
Melanie Walsh's books Do Monkeys Tweet and Do Donkeys Dance?
The Monster at the end of this Book (Grover) by Stone
Our Library by Eve Bunting
Elmer Takes Off by David McKee - although we might try this one again later.

I hope you've had a great week reading and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

I remember some of these books maybe from my children. Thank you for reminding me of some of these cute stories.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining this week! Anna is a big fan of Curious George books. Her best friend who happens to come from "two dads" family has a nickname (well deserved) of Curious George, so she always comments on Curious George adventures with the phrase, "Silly George! He is just like D!" LOL.
I am putting "Where is Poop" book on my reading list, it sounds really great even though we are done with potty training. And I am adding you to my Giveaway. Happy reading!

Julie said...

Great list! We're in the middle of potty training so I may have to check out those two potty books.

Dee said...

I have been reading your blog for a long time now. I LOVE your photos and your scrapbook pages. Thanks so much for sharing. I am wondering how you got the pics on the top of your blog page to fit into the header so nicely.

Wendy and Karen said...

Hi Dee,

Thank you for being a long-time reader and for your comments. I had been meaning to change my blog header (the old one had pictures of Kylie from over a year ago) and your comment was just what I needed.

I'll probably make some more changes soon. But in the previous one, I made a header that was approximately 1400x300 pixels, and used masks as placeholders for the photos. Send me an email if you want to learn more about photo masks.

Thanks again for reading! Wendy

Dee said...

Wendy,

I would love to learn alot more about lots of things that you do. Especially the scrapbooking. And where you edit your photos.

And where do I find your email address?

Dee

Dee said...

Oh and I would love to know more about photo masks.

Dee

MaryAnne said...

Your cats book sounds fun - I think we'll look for it at our library!