Monday, August 30, 2010

Seriously?

Wow! My three-year old has attitude and thinks she knows it all.

083010__6
Here are two stories for you.

1. Kylie and I were doing something in her bedroom--I don't remember what. But I remember that she got upset and lashed out at me. She struck me with her hand on my arm. "Kylie!" I exclaimed. "No hitting! We don't hit in our family."

Kiddo arched her eyebrows, looked me square in the face and with the attitude of a tween said, "Seriously?"

You could have knocked me over with a feather. I was stunned with the word and the attitude.

2. This afternoon, I told Kylie we were going to the dry cleaner. I gave her plenty of warning (10 minutes, 5 minutes, 2 minutes and so forth). When I told her it was time to put on her shoes, she exclaimed, "I'm going to pick out a movie and watch it" and marched to the DVD cabinet and picked out a movie.

Me: Not now Kylie. It's time to go to the dry cleaner.
Kylie: You'll do what I tell you to. (I PROMISE I don't use this phrase with her.)
Me: Kylie. Shoes on. Now.
Kylie: I'm not going! And she throws the movie at me.
Me: We aren't going to the dry cleaner yet. You are going to have a time-out.

Yeesh! Three year olds think they know it all and think they can get away with it all. This new, sassy attitude has taken me a bit aback. But I'm finding my stride with it.

My new mantra is "I'm the adult; never bicker on her level. Don't fight and don't give in".

But some days it is hard not to feel resentful for all the push-back I get from Kylie. There are some days when Karen gets home from work, she takes one look at me, engulfs me in her hug and reminds me that it's going to be all right. Today was one of those days. And I'm so grateful to my sweet wife.

And grateful that, with a camera, I can let go of the difficulty that happened an hour ago (Kylie certainly has gotten over it) and have some fun with the kiddo.

083010__2

083010__5

083010__4

7 comments:

Mrs. Beer said...

She is darling. Hate to say it, but I love the sassiness... keep up the good work!

Shannon said...

Three year olds definitely think they know everything and of course the world revolves around them. :) Want to know what ours said when my partner asked him to take a couple of pieces of cardboard to the garage? He said, "Every time I sit down to do something, she asks me to take the recycle out!" We were stunned but couldn't help laughing.

Cara said...

My daughter has the exact same sass and push-back, and it's exhausting.

Her favourite line is: "If I want to do it, then I do it." Or "I do as I do, and you do as you do."

I swear we don't talk like that. I just sum it up as being three, and hope four is easier.

Kate said...

My daughter just yesterday- I was talking to her and she turned to me and said "Momma- sometimes I just need a break from you"- they are testing us to see what they can get away with- hold your ground- but she is sure cute.

Teaberry said...

wow!! Has she been hanging around with some surly teenagers? She must've picked that up from seeing someone else talk like that... But, I'm sorry she's been giving you some troubles. She is a sweetheart, though, and I love seeing her adorable pictures!

Stacey said...

They are funny at this age as they repeat back things they've heard with a ton of attitude. It's scary and hilarious. LOL

3 is really an interesting age with A LOT of attitude. You are not alone.

Kerry Lynn said...

AWWW! I want a wife! My husband would NEVER hug me if I've had a rough day with the kids (which is every day). I just get "It's not that bad..." GRRR! Some sympathy would be awesome once in a while.

Maddie is like this ever single day. It's very difficult.