Thursday, July 07, 2011

Triathlete- June 2011

I'd like to start this month's post on the topic of Health.
Since January, I've had these three things on my "To Do" List: Annual GYN exam, Mammogram, Dentist appointment. And each month would fly by without me scheduling these appointments. I was dreading all three of them and couldn't seem to force myself to make the necessary calls. Finally, at the end of May, I realized I needed help. It's not easy for me to ask for help. And I felt extremely silly but I asked Karen if she would schedule the appointments for me. Of course, she had the appointments made in an hour or so. And in June, I attended all three appointments. I'm so relieved to have those items finally crossed off my list.

In addition to taking time to see to my health, we also had our trip to TN the first week of June. Kylie got sick the third week. And I had my bike wreck the fourth week. All in all, I missed a lot of my scheduled workouts. Several days off in a row without exercising + stress = crap eating. I gained and then lost the same 4 pounds at least 4 times in June. I ended the month with a weight of 116, same as last month, but the swings up and down on the scale were mentally challenging.

In June, I had three big successes.
1: I swam 18 laps (450 yards or 1/4 mile) without stopping on three different occasions. I swam it with a combination of freestyle and breaststroke. My best time was 10:52.
2: I went back to the bike shop and got re-fitted for my bike. They moved my seat up less than an inch but it made a huge difference. I took 20 minutes off my 24-mile time! My average speed was 14.3 and my max speed was 17.5.
3. I ran a personal best on my one of my long runs. 13 miles in 2:02:22.

Here's the rest of the data for the month:
Swim and Strength
6 swim practices with my coach and 3 practices on my own. 3 strength training sessions.

Bike
25 miles in 2 hours
11 miles in 54 minutes
24 miles in 1:41
11 miles in 47 minutes
10 miles in 46 minutes

Run
Long Run
15 miles in 2:30. 10:00 minute pace
13 miles in 2:02. 9:38 pace Personal Best
9 miles in 1:25. 9:44 pace

Intervals and Tempo Runs
4 miles in 33:30. 8:25 pace
2.5 miles in 22 minutes. 8:80 pace
3 miles in 26 minutes. 8:66 pace
6 miles in 56 minutes. 9:33 pace
6.5 miles in 1:00. 9:23 pace
6 miles in 54 minutes. 9:16 pace

Off-the-bike runs
3 miles in 27:30
3 miles in 25:20

So that's it for another month! Thanks for reading! And if you've made it this far, please leave me a comment. Comments mean the world to me.

May 2011 summary
April 2011 summary
March 2011 summary
February 2011 summary
January 2011 summary
December 2010 summary


Goal: Triathlon in 2012- initial post from December 2010
One Little Word: Triathlete post

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Rockstar!!!

keldie said...

You like comments? I can comment! I think you're doing fabulously and I keep hoping to run into you while out and about in Jax. We don't know any other two-mom families here!

A+K said...

Hi Wendy!! I just wanted to leave a comment (finally!) and say how much I enjoy reading your triathlete posts. Your story and all you have been able to accomplish in the last year or so are really inspring :) You have made an amazing transformation and I think it is amazing all you are able to do for your health and to promote a healthy lifestyle. What wonderful role models for health and exercise you guys are for Kylie! :)

maria said...

Some months are harder than others, but the important thing is to keep going.

Congratulations on your accomplishments!

Stef said...

how did you get yourself to do this? i try so hard to workout but i have no motivation..

E and M, jumpingoutoftrees said...

Looks like you are doing great!

Alayna said...

You are amazing! I'm so impressed with all your training and perseverance!! Keep up the good work :)