Friday, October 27, 2006

Knitting News



On Wednesday, I finished knitting my clapotis scarf/shawl. Strange name, I know.

The pattern was inspired by French women's scarves (which are big enough to also be worn as shawls). It is knit on the bias so the variegated yarn makes diagonal stripes. And stitches are carefully dropped to make a pattern in the opposite direction. It's named after an ocean wave pattern.

This scarf was all the rage in 2004. Groups and groups of women all joined together in person and online to knit their clapotis. (Sounds kinky doesn't it?) I was just a beginning knitter at that point and the pattern intimidated me. So I'm really pleased that I was able to knit it now.


Yarn: Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb (50% silk, 50% wool) color: embers
Needles: Size 8 circular
Pattern: Clapotis on Knitty.com
Finished: 10/25/06
More pictures here

It's amazing how eating two packs of Little Debbie doughnuts will inspire you! I had been dragging around the house all day. But after wolfing these wonderfully sugar treats, I put on my new maternity outfit and asked Karen to take some pictures of me and my newly finished shawl.

One last thing...after my shower today I called Karen to the bathroom. "Poke around my belly button!" I asked/demanded. I was shocked at how hard and taught my belly is. I knew my uterus was growing but feeling it today and seeing today's pictures was shocking. That little mound isn't belly fat... it's a baby! WOW!

-Wendy
[13w, 4d]

3 comments:

wenders said...

I love love love your smile in the last picture.

The clapotis is pretty, too!

You and Karen are ... inspiring. It's so awesome to see a couple clearly devoted to one another and to building a family. Yay!

Stacey said...

Nice scarf! I am amazed at what people can knit. :)

Great photos! It is crazy how hard the belly gets. I find it harder later in the day after eating. Sometimes it is so rock hard, it's crazy.

It's great when you know the baby is growing in there, isn't it? :)

Ethan Barry's Momma said...

Wendy...You look absolutely stunning and your scarf is beautiful too. Red is such a great color for you. You are definitely a glowing momma-to-be.
Love,
H