Monday, October 16, 2006

Oh Baby


A big shout out and thank you to Karen's sister, Amy, who sent me this beautiful maternity top. I love the shirt and love the fact that Amy is thinking of me and wishing me and the Biscuit well.

Today was my first day back to Jazzercise in over a week (the cold and the nausea were too much to consider Jazzercising this past week). My friends from class all petted on me and showered me with a wonderful amount of "poor baby's".

I'm beginning to groove on the attention one gets while pregnant. It's a "welcome to the club" kind of feeling when others begin to share their pregnancy experiences with you.

While laid up, I read "The Miraculous World of Your Unborn Baby" by Nikki Bradford. I tore through it in a day.

I learned a few, new, interesting factoids such as :
  • A baby starts off with two internal tubes or ducts called a Mullerian duct and a Wolffian duct. In girls, the Mullerian duct becomes a girl's reproductive tract and the Wolffian duct dissolves away. In boys, the newly formed testes start sending out the male hormone testosterone, turning the Wolffian duct into the reproductive tract and destroying the Mullerian duct.

    and

  • Labor pain does not come directly from your womb, but is due to ischemia, a lack of blood in the uterine muscles produced by the womb working hard. This hurts for the same reason that a heart attack or angina hurts: lack of oxygen to the muscles, and a buildup of cellular waste products which irritate nerve tissue.

    And there was a fascinating chapter titled "Does your unborn baby feel your emotions?"

    So at 12 weeks, with my uterus the size of a cantaloupe and the baby the size of a peach pit, I'm beginning to relax a bit into this pregnancy. I don't check the tissue every time I go to the bathroom. I pat my lower abdomen more frequently. I gaze at my ultrasound picture frequently. It feels as if my heart is expanding physically and emotionally. Sh*t, I sound like a Hallmark card.

    Lastly, I want to send a shout out to Heather who came home from the hospital today. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

    -Wendy

    [12w,0d]
  • 2 comments:

    Stacey said...

    Interesting stuff. So does the baby feel your emotions? I've heard that the baby can feel euphoria and stuff like that.

    Cute shirt!

    Anonymous said...

    Wendy & Karen,
    I am enjoying your blog. You both will be greats Moms, as witnessed by me, Etan's Grandpa Bear. Thanks for all your love for Ethan, Heather & Jeff.
    Much love,
    Grandpa Bear