Monday, March 26, 2007

The Spring freeze at our house

It's almost April and the world outside is waking up with new growth and lots of color. But inside our house, it's winter! Let me explain...

Since pregnancy arrived at our house, and Wendy's internal thermometer has stayed constantly spiked it seems, things have been a bit chilly around here. Weathering the winter has been a bit of a challenge for me and the cats. For months now, I have been wearing 2-3 layers of clothing and try to keep my hands warm by wearing my wonderful fingerless mittens Wendy knitted for me. I keep a little space heater near my desk and keep it on high most of the time. The cats sit on the heat registers in the house praying for the heat to kick on or lay in a pile in their basket trying to share body heat. Phoebe loves to sit in front of my heater, but she blocks some of my heat so I "accidentally" bump into her if she stays there too long. :)

Well, with the advent of spring, I have been hopeful that the increasingly warm weather would mean my icy fingers would thaw and I could actually store my space heater away. Ummmm... no such luck! The increased temp outside has made it more uncomfortable for Wendy and we have turned on the air conditioner. Yes...the air conditioner. When I got up this morning, the house temp was 61F (that was only about 10 degrees warmer than the outside temp). Chloe, our younger cat was sitting on the heat register in the kitchen and looked up at me and let out this plaintive, pitiful meow-cry thing that made me want to start a fire for her (and for me too). By lunch time, after I put my icy hands on Wendy's belly and actually made her flinch (she usually loves my cold hands on her overly warm self), I turned the heat on to get the temp up to the upper 60's in the house. Woo hoo!

It's 5 weeks (or less!) till Kylie gets here and the cats and I will be staying bundled up to ride out the last days of winter in our house. :) I only hope the thaw comes when Kylie does!

- Karen
[35w,0d]

3 comments:

ohchicken said...

so glad to have found you ladies in the land of ttc and pregnancy. muchas gracias.

Anonymous said...

I think my DH can relate to this! He frequently will come to me and casually say, "are you chilly?" then proceed to put on 4 or 5 layers and a winter hat! Meanwhile, I'm wearing a tank top and tiny shorts!

Anonymous said...

i love it! i too kept the air somewhere between 58 and 60 for the majority of my third trimester. lenny still shivers from time to time and gavin's 18 months now! so exciting as your countdown draws closer! lisa O