Friday, November 24, 2006

Observations from the sherpa

Today has been one laugh after another. Wendy is obviously experiencing the euphoria of the 2nd trimester "honeymoon". She just finished a laughing fit where she laughed hysterically for several minutes all the while snorting out something about her belly and gas and something else of which I'm still not quite sure.

Earlier, we braved the crazy day after Thanksgiving world and went out. While I had a hair cut, Wendy sat at Starbucks and knitted and I met her there after I was done. She had planted herself next to the sunny windows and smiled brightly as I entered with my newly coifed do. She finished a very wonderful scarf while I read and had a cuppa and then we decided to truly be brave and go to a couple of stores. We successfully navigated the traffic and the crowds and obtained the couple of items we wanted and then decided to go for an early supper. We went to Chevy's, a mexican place that we hadn't been to in a while. Wendy's had Taco Bell on her brain for a couple of days (we even went so far as to go out yesterday - on the holiday - looking to see if a Taco Bell was open!) so we decided on Chevy's as a bit more upscale alternative. Well, her meal wasn't exactly what she wanted. As it turns out, we'd have been better off to have just gone to Taco Bell to start with, but alas - we did not. So, to help soothe her I offered to take her to Cold Stone Creamery for her favorite ice cream delight - Peanut Butter Cup Perfection (chocoloate ice cream, fudge sauce, peanut butter, Reese's Peanut Butter cups and a brownie all mixed together). As we pulled out from Chevy's on our way to Cold Stone, Wendy glanced across the street and noticed the Deseret Book store. "Hmph" she says. "A whole book store with dessert books? How do they ever sell enough to stay in business?". While smothering a laugh (since I have learned that it is not a good idea to laugh hysterically at the pregnant woman), I say "....um..that's Des-er-et...not dessert". She cracked up! She laughed and laughed and laughed...and I laughed with her.

Now, this little word faux paux is only the most recent in a long series of word oddities that my sweet one has proclaimed. First, there was the word pseudo. The official pronounciation is like "sue dough" but my Wendy says "sway dough". Then later today, "summarily" became "summer-air-alee". The funniest part is how hard she laughs when these little pronounciation slips happen. I suppose you just have to be there to get the full effect, but dang it's cute!

She's fascinated with her growing belly and the flutters she's feeling from the baby. She just giggles with delight when they start. Tonight after the ice cream splurge, the baby was really getting jiggy with it in there and Wendy just starts laughing and saying how the baby must be on a sugar high. I think mommy was on a sugar high too!

We're having alot of fun these days. Our big ultrasound is just a little over a week away and we'll soon know if the biscuit is a boy or a girl. There's so much to look forward to and yet each passing day is so very precious. Each moment is an adventure and this journey is just so miraculous that I find myself in awe over and over again.

We've been thinking alot of our many blogger friends who are sharing this adventure with us. We feel we have lots of friends out there and everytime we check your blogs and read your comments here, it's as if we're sitting down with our dear friends over coffee and catching up on the day and enjoying each other's company. It's pretty cool to find that in this great big world, there are so many ways to connect to those who share similar journeys. We're so grateful to be on this path and to have found this community to share it with. Thanks everyone!

Happy weekend everyone!

- Karen
[17w,4d]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE getting to observe from afar as you both make your journey into parenthood. It's beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Stacey said...

I'm glad that Wendy's enjoying the honeymoond phase. :) That ice cream description has me wanting some. Perhaps I better go out and get some ice cream tonight. I keep thinking, do we have chocolate in the house? Damn you! LOL

It is an incredible journey and I know parenthood will be another journey to look forward to. :)

We love sharing the pregnancy journey with you too. It's nice to connect with others online and share our experiences. :)

Monogram Queen said...

Hi Wendy & Karen, I came via Caroline's blog. I love reading about your impending arrival. It is so exciting isn't it! The best to both of you!

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I've felt the same way lately and have expressed to my friends and families that I feel we've got an entirely new group so friends that we're sharing this experience with. You and Wendy are just a few weeks ahead of us. It's been fun reading you story knowing we're just a few weeks behind you.