Wednesday, October 03, 2007

We're Home!

We're back from a whirlwind trip to Tennessee. What an adventure!

Karen's 95-year-old grandmother was admitted to the hospital last Monday and we decided that we really needed to be in Tennessee. So we flew home on Wednesday afternoon. We had one tired, over-stimulated, crying, refusing-to-nurse baby on our hands for that long trip to the east coast. She did okay during take offs and landings but it was an incredibly hard day. By the time we got there, Kylie had a cold and I was on my last nerve.

We rolled into Karen's parents house around 1am EST. Karen's sister and mom had quickly found us a pack-and-play, high chair, baby tub, formula, baby food, wipes and diapers and had it all waiting to greet us and make us comfortable.

We woke up Thursday and went to the hospital so that Karen's grandmother and Kylie could meet. And it was incredible. Karen's grandmother lit up the room when she saw Karen and Kylie. It was such a memorable moment and we got lots of wonderful pictures.

Later in the week, Karen's grandmother was allowed to go home (with 24 hour family care). And we got to see my family. My dad got to spend time with us. He hadn't seen Kylie since she was born.

My mom got to see Kylie again. She made us some fantastic home-cooked meals and had her guest room all ready for us and Kylie. Thanks Mom!

And my grandmother was able to meet her great-granddaughter for the first time. It was an awesome afternoon.

Then it was back to Karen's family where Kylie got to spend time with Karen's sister Amy and her husband Tony, Amy's daughter Emily, Karen's brother Teddy, and a bit more time with Karen's grandmother.

Somewhere in the middle, we met up briefly with our good friend Mimi.

Kylie was such a great sport through it all. She had a runny nose, feverish, coughing cold and was still so amiable to being passed around, held by strangers and having over 300 pictures taken of her with various family members. She had a bit of a hard time settling down in a new room each night--she really missed her crib and swing. But through it all, she smiled and charmed the hearts of all who met her.

On this trip, she also learned how to hold her own sippy cup and became even more fascinated with eating her toes.

She stayed at her first hotel, the Airport Hilton in Knoxville and then we flew home yesterday/Tuesday morning. She was an angel for her flight home, nursing often and sleeping a lot. Last night we all collapsed gratefully in to our beds--it feels so good to be home.

I could write lots more but wanted to give you this quick update about us. Kylie still has the snuffles but is happy and sleeping well.

Lastly, yesterday 10/2 was KAREN'S BIRTHDAY! Happy Birthday, my Love! I promise we'll make time to celebrate it!


Audra said...

Love the last family photo! Little Kylie looks like she had a fun time!

Casey said...

I knew something must have been up when your blog was so quiet. I'm glad you are all safe and healthy and I'm glad you had a good time visiting with your family. I hope Karen's grandmother continues to improve.

Kim aka Mommy said...

Welcome back. Love all the pics.

Happy Birthday Karen!

Holly said...

Wow! What a trip! How wonderful that both of your grandmas got to see Miss Kylie! The pictures are so heartwarming!

Happy Birthday Karen!!!!!!!!!!

Mo said...

Welcome back to rainy Portland! Those photos are wonderful.

SassyFemme said...

Happy Birthday Karen!

Glad that the Great Grandmas got to see their little one.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog daily.... Glad to hear everyone is safe and that you had a safe, pleasant (if a bit hectic lol) trip! Lori

Kathryn said...

Those cross country trips with babies are difficult. My babies always ended up sick! Glad you're home and that you enjoyed your visit!

Happy Birthday Karen!

Stacey said...

We missed you! Great pictures!!! LOVE the family picture--it's PERFECT.

Jen said...

glad to see you're all home safe and sound...even if a little snuffle is hanging on! :) can i ask where you got kylie's awesome cup?