Thursday, October 29, 2009

At the table

102709_table.jpg
My darling Kylie eats like a bird. She eats healthily-lots of fruits and vegetables. But she eats so little. And in my desire to see her eat, I've formed some bad habits. Well, it's time to break them. So I resolve to no longer:

  • Say "Eat, eat, eat" in a vehement and/or pleading voice at every meal.

  • Load her fork and hold it to her mouth for her (even though this works and she'll take a bite).

  • Say any derivative of, "If you eat two more bites of meat/veggies, you can have dessert".

    Whew. Such bad habits. It's time to get over them. I'll just keep reminding myself that she won't starve.

    Parenting....the most rewarding and the most challenging thing I've ever done.
    102809_leaning.jpg

    Makes me want to go back here.
    vacation.jpg
  • 6 comments:

    CJ said...

    I'm bad at that too. Em is more than capable of feeding herself, but I will find myself doing it FOR her to get her to eat more.

    I've been a lot better lately, but it's hard to change our own habits when it comes to parenting!

    Ethan Barry's Momma said...

    I have a bad habit of saying, "Two more big bites, and then you are done." It's like I have a hard time really believing that Ethan is full when he says he is...especially if he hasn't eaten that much. From experience, I just know that he will come back an hour later and say he's hungry if he didn't eat enough at dinner. It will definitely be a hard habit for me to break.

    Alayna said...

    Ah, yes, we have a similar not-so-big eater in our house. I am also trying to avoid pushing food on him, as I know it only makes him dig in his heels even more! But it is a struggle. I have noticed, though, that he will eat when he is good and hungry and on his own terms, so I guess I just need to remember that. Good luck with changing your habits!

    Caroline said...

    I love the pictures of Kylie!! I can't believe how big she is getting. I can't wait to see all the pictures you are going to take when it snows there.

    Oh, and I just love her clothes. So cute.

    Beth said...

    You know I'm with you on the eating battle! I've actually relaxed quite a bit about it, which even surprises me some times! I make sure Adam drinks lots of milk (3 full glasses a day, usually) so that helps me feel better. Your quote on motherhood is so true!

    Kylie looks precious -- as always -- in the photos! =)

    loveyalots said...

    Love your blog! You have probably heard of the book Child of Mine by Ellyn Satter but if you haven't it's a great resource for food related stuff.