Monday, October 09, 2006

What's up with the belly?

I've had a potbelly since college. I'm one of those women who carry their weight around their middle - on the belly and around the hips. And even though I've been up to 25 pounds heavier than I am now, this extra potbelly weight has never jiggled. It's been taut. I once had a personal trainer tell me that it was taut because it was vascular (veins running through it) which makes it particularly hard to lose.

Well now....it's jiggling.

Last week when I was Jazzercising, I felt it jiggle and wiggle. "Holy sh*t", I thought to myself while "grape-vining" across the gym floor. "Just like Santa....jiggling like a bowl full of jelly".

I've only gained two pounds since conception (not great but not awful either). So I don't think it's weight gain, or extra cellulite, or water retention.

Sherpa Karen had a lovely explanation. She thinks that my body knows that a baby (uterus and all) will be moving into the lower abdomen and that the fat composition may be changing to make some room.

I don't know whether she really believes this sentiment or if she's just pacifying the crazy pregnant lady, but I like this explanation. I like this picture of a cartoon character representing my body's foreman shouting to his crew, "All right boys. We've got a baby moving into this area so we need to break up this solid piece of blubber into some smaller more manageable pieces".

I think too much rest affects the stranger side of my imagination. Anyway, if anyone out there has noticed or heard of this fat rearranging phenomenon, drop me a line and let me know.

-Wendy
[11w,0d]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your expanding uterus, with it's increased blood flow and water weight is simply pushing everything upwards, causing the jiggle. Have no fear, the jiggle will soon be replaced with a hard pregnant belly!!!!!

Just enjoy, you look beautiful.

Stacey said...

Yep, just stuff starting to shift. Just wait until your stomach starts getting pushed up and you'll get all hard in your upper belly when you eat. Fun! :-P