Wednesday, September 19, 2007

On the road home...

I've been on the road since Monday and am headed home. I'm currently sitting at my departure gate at the Newark airport (fun, fun, fun). But, with an internet connection available, the wait is bearable. I've been participating in a conference where I did a short presentation (all that weird computer stuff I do...) and it went well. I always have to laugh though whenever I attend one of these things at how different people use their presentation tool. For most people, that tool is PowerPoint. You've probably seen it and/or used it somewhere. Somebody throws up slide after slide after slide and drones on about something. Well, I found a Dilbert cartoon that epitomizes the effect some presentations seem to have on folks. What do you think? Is it accurate?



Wendy and Kylie have been enjoying a few days of what we think is teething pain. Kylie has been really fussy while I've been away and just acts like her little mouth is hurting and sore. Bless Wendy's patience, love and fortitude! She's held her and bounced her, gave her cool teething rings, a bit of Tylenol here and there and done everything she can to keep our little one as comfortable as possible. I often feel guilty when I go away knowing that I'm leaving her there alone with the sole responsiblity of caring for Kylie. It's just a *lot* of work for one person. I honestly can't imagine how single parents do it! Really....think about it. One little human being is about all Wendy and I together can handle and it's just amazing to me that there are lots and lots of folks out there who do it alone. It's such a joy but there's also alot of work and diligence required. So...hats off to everyone out there being moms and dads...and to those of you doing it on your own "Woo hoo to you!". If I could erect a giant billboard in honor of all you do, I would.

But, as I said, there's so much joy that it's more than worth it, right? So, let me leave you with a look at our sweet bundle of joy!



- Karen

6 comments:

E and M, jumpingoutoftrees said...

She is absolutely adorable. PowerPoint...yes, it is poison...and my pet peeve is when the presenter just reads every slide and the information is also on your handout. Um...I can read it myself, thanks. :)

Kerry Lynn said...

HAHA, I have a free program called powerbullet that actually kicks ass! It's SOOOOOO easy to use and you can actually save the files as flash files. It's how I made www.klgproductions.com I don't actually make presentations on it but I bet if someone used that instead of powerpoint people would be more interested.

I get that black and white effect in my photos with an action in photoshop. I'd be glad to share the details if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

My boss does these PowerPoint presentations that make me absolutely CRAZY! He thinks he's so smart and he drives us all nuts!

Jen said...

YES - a big shout out to moms and dads doing it on their own. all it took for me was taking our little one to the pediatrician alone for me to realize it's HARD with two hands instead of four. :)

Caroline said...

Love that powerpoint cartoon. How true is that. The one thing I hate when someone gets up and has a powerpoint presentation is when they just read what is up on the screen. Hello...I can read.

Hope you made it home safe and sound to your girls.

Stacey said...

love the pic!