Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Getting over a bad day

I had a bad day yesterday. I could write about the details of the bad day but suffice to say that I had a disappointing doctor's appointment. Everything is fine with me and the baby though... no worries there. It's just that the visit was a bit of a let-down.

So rather than write about the bad day and get myself (and maybe you) all riled up, I shall write about gratitude instead.

  • I'm grateful I have a partner who really knows how to be with me when I'm in a snit. She knows how to let me fuss and yell and get a lot of the anger out. She's a great listener and wonderfully does not try to prematurely calm me down. When the storm begins to abate, she knows just when to begin to soothe, hug, rock, kiss and offer loving words of wisdom. It's so cool to be with someone who really GETS you and understands you and knows how to be with you. Thank God for Karen.

  • I'm grateful for good restaurants. I used to manage a restaurant and firmly believe in the line "If you're stressed, it's fine dining we suggest." (This is a line from the song "Be Our Guest" from the movie soundtrack Beauty and the Beast.) Last night I had a fine, delicious meal served by an unobtrussive yet responsive waiter. By the time we left the restaurant, my shoulders had dropped from being bunched up around my ears and my brow had smoothed out.

  • I'm grateful for shops that have wonderful sales and for the ability in our budget to indulge in some occasional retail therapy. Last night I bought an adorable Disney onesie and a Winnie-the-Pooh sleeper outfit at 70% off at the Disney store at the mall.

  • I'm ever so grateful I know how to knit. Knitting is my best meditation and can make me feel ever-so-much better. Yarn is always there for me and it is a loving friend.

  • I'm grateful for an extremely comfortable bed with the perfect combination of pregnancy pillows. At the end of a hard day, slipping into a scrumptious bed is quite the thing.

    So last night as I was saying my prayers, I got to honestly pray, "Thank you God for this hard day. And thank you for Karen, Kylie, my family and friends, the waiter, the food, the sales lady, the yarn and the comfortable blessings of a great house with a great bed that got me through it." Amen.

    -Wendy
    [24w,1d]
  • 4 comments:

    Holly said...

    Amen!

    Caroline said...

    I am sorry you had a bad visit with the doctor. But it sounds like your day got much better. It is a wonderful thing when you have a partner that knows exactly what to say when things aren't going right.

    Anonymous said...

    I hope today was a better day!

    Stacey said...

    So sorry you had a bad day but glad that you are able to focus on the good things in your life.

    Retail therapy is the best.